cover image: Approfondimento n. 24/ luglio 2023  T urkish centrality in the Mediterranean


Approfondimento n. 24/ luglio 2023 T urkish centrality in the Mediterranean

27 Jul 2023

During a meeting of the UN Security Council on the last 1st of March, the representative of Türkiye said that «the devastation wrought by the earthquake demonstrated the concomitant need to create momentum in Syria's political process»12 and to do this his Government continues to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian aid to the Syrian people and has made the border gates at the Bab Al-Salam and. [...] Even with a timetable for the establishment of the Customs Union, the political and economic conditions in Türkiye, characterized by more authoritarianism and the strengthening of the executive with pressure from the military, led to a suspension of the relations with the EU after the military coup of 12 September 1980. [...] Hence, following the double aim of countering the expansion of Kurdish forces and increasing its regional influence, since the beginning of the Syrian war Türkiye was swinging between the two camps: Russia and Iran’s support of the Assad regime on one hand and the US, European States and Sunni Gulf Arabic States closer to the anti-government forces on the other. [...] Upon the outbreak of the Rojava conflict (also known as the Rojava Revolution) within the larger Syrian civil war, between a Kurdish-dominated coalition promoting the establishment of a new constitution and the recognition of a de facto autonomous region and the military wings that fought to maintain control of the territory in northern Syria, the Turkish President has officially condemned his Syr. [...] This was done in an extremely polarized Türkiye, where the line between the desire for stability and power expressed by the 52% of the population who voted for Erdoğan and the claims against the authoritarian drift from the other 48% who see a source of hope in the memory of the Gezi protests, appears extremely fleeting.


Sara De Ponte

Published in