Coherent Identifier About this item: 20.500.12592/ccv9hj

Decarbonisation options for Large Volume Organic Chemicals Production, DOW Terneuzen

15 February 2022

Summary

To minimalize the forming of carbon in the furnaces, the residence time is short and the pressure in the tubes is low. [...] The recovered pentane is sent back to the feed of the crackers, the rest is sent to the de-hexanizer. [...] Approximately 64% of the methane and hydrogen output (43 PJ) is used for the furnaces/boilers of the crackers themselves, while the remaining 36% (24 PJ) is used as fuel for ELSTA and other utilities at the site (total 67 PJ, which is 22% of the mass of the feedstock and 24% of the energy input). [...] The overall effects of the increase of the steam/hydrocarbon ratio are to increase the selectivity for styrene at the same level of conversion and the lifetime and stability of the catalyst. [...] Here, we assume that the ethylene-oxide production at Terneuzen (195 kt) is fully used to produce PEG and the rest of the capacity is used to produces PPG (265 kt soft, 110 kt rigid PPG), with most of the required propylene-oxide imported from the DOW/BASF plant (capacity of 300 kt PO) in Antwerp and the remaining imported from the DOW plant in Stade, Germany.

Authors

Pages
66